Prevalence study on emergence of urinary tract infection in Erode, Tamilnadu, India
Subject Area:Life Sciences
The present study was carried out to detect the prevalence of Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and antibacterial susceptibility pattern of isolated uropathogens at Erode district from May 2009 – July 2009. A total number of 300 patients (157 males and 143 females) in the age group ranging from 1–70 years were examined. Among them, only 94 persons exhibited significant bacteiuria and 60 % of total isolated organisms were found to be gram negative while remaining 40 % were gram positive. Among gram negative species, Escherichia coli (48.04 %) and gram positive coagulase negative Staphylococcus (15.67%) and Enterococcus (14.71%) were the most prevalent organisms. The antibiotic resistance of identified organisms was evaluated in which E.coli is more sensitive to Nitrofurantoin (4.08%) and is more resistant to Ampicillin (4.08%).